FRIDAY MARCH 4TH -IS OUR ANNIVERSARY OF OUR POST
Eighty years ago when Post 2064 began, meetings were held at Maybrook's Sweeney Hall. This was an older building used for movies and wedding receptions for many Veterans and their families. There was a fire which destroyed a portion of the building, causing the VFW to hold its meetings upstairs at the Maybrook Fire Department. In 1970, Commander Jack Barletta, Vice Commander Karl Heller and Quartermaster Tony Volpe decided the VFW should have its own building. There was a bar and restaurant called the Blue Mirror that had burned down in the late 1960's, which was owned by the Bastiano family. Tony Volpe was friendly with the Bastiano, and he let them know that Post 2064 was looking for a new location for a VFW hall. The Bastiano family graciously donated the land to the VFW.
Needing $15,000 those dollars for the building, and being refused loans from several banks, the manager of a bank in Walden approved the request contingent upon collateral. Post officers, Jack Barletta and Karl Heller agreed to use their homes for collateral. The post was granted the loan and construction began. With an outpouring of support from the local community,including Brescia Lumberyard which grew next to VFW building. The community was very supportive of this endeavour as they had been waiting for there to be a Maybrook VFW Hall. After two years of hardwork, by both VFW members and the community, the building was completed. Forty years later, we are still very proud of the work we put into this building. We owe the greatest thanks to the late Quartermaster, Tony Volpe. Without his dedication to this post and desire for there to be a meeting hall, we would not be standing in this building.
On January 10th, 1946 the post was renamed Dusenberry-Flannery VFW 2064 to honor the memory of two young soldiers killed in the closing days of WWII.
The Post continues to serve its members and community today, and has graciously hosted thousand of events that keep our community close.
Today the Post continues to grow, currently boasting 207 members. We have had 47 different Post Commanders, and are one of the most active VFW Posts in Orange County.
Staff Sergeant Charles Dusenberry
U.S. Army, KIA April 30th, 1945
Corporal Robert Flannery
U.S. Army, KIA February 6th, 1945
Interred Saint Mary's Cemetery